Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Starting Seeds



Last weekend I went seed shopping…I'm a little too late to order cool weather seeds from my favorite catalog but Northwest Seed and Pet has a great selection of seeds-almost too many!  Because I’m rotating my crops I’m growing a lot of things I’ve never grown before...sprouting broccoli, romanesco broccoli, cauliflower (white, green and purple) and fennel.  Oh and onions; spring and Italian red scallions.  I’m planting onion “sets” too, which I’ve never done but what can be more easy that just plopping them in the ground?  Some seeds I’m starting indoors first, like fennel, broccoli, cauliflower and morning glory but as soon as you can work your soil it’s a perfect time to direct seed lettuces, radish, carrot, kale, spinach, etc…just to be safe I purchased a very light-weight row cover; you lay it directly on top your seeds/transplants.  Because it’s so light it won’t interfere with sprouting.  This is definitely the earliest I’ve ever planted outside probably because I’ve mainly grown warm weather crops like tomatoes, cucumbers and squash.  
There is a ton of information online on how to start seeds indoors so I won’t bore you with the details but I will say that my heated bathroom floor is a perfect place to germinate seeds!  Don’t  have to buy those expense heating mats.  As soon as I see a sprout I move them directly under my lighting system. 




A quick note about seeds…I’ve always wondered how long seeds last but never gave much thought to to it…a favorite garden blog of mine gave me a some insight…and she had a handy little chart that I attached above.  Bottom line is don’t throw your seeds away after only one year!  Most will last 2-6 if properly stored-that is key.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per pot anyway and then cut off the weakest sprout after first true set of leaves appear.  

Rack I use for grow lights
I’ve finally perfected my lighting system with
“s” hooks and chain; easy to raise and lower as
plants grow.
found these at NW Seed, 18¢ each, biodegradable so
no need to disturb roots when transplanting.
One advantage to starting your own seeds is growing things you wouldn't
normally see at the store.

One final thought…If you’re looking to grow something maintenance free and keeps coming back year after year look no further than CHIVES!
It’s one of the first signs of “green” to pop up in very early spring...they have beautiful purple or white
flowers, which by they way are edible and so pretty tossed in a fresh garden spring salad (with those greens you planted too!).  I have enough around my yard that I cut fresh bouquets for my kitchen…and of course you have the typical use as simply chives. It's the all-in-one plant!  They are so easy to grow.  I have one in a pot that’s been there for years.

-Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Some good info Jill.....thanks! I'm excited to start planting :)

    ReplyDelete